Tuesday, May 31, 2011

SPM 1119/1 Continuous Writing - Grandparents

My grandparents are the seniors in my family. Even in their old age, they command respect from the rest of my family. After all, they deserve it.

My grandmother may be old and wrinkled, but she is still a feisty lioness who rules the household. She prepares our daily meals, so that we do not through the day in hunger. She grows her own vegetables so that we can have our own organic home-grown greens on the dinner table. She looked after us, the grandchildren, when our parents were busy with work and came home late. She was the one who took me to the playground, bought me candy every now and then, taught me nursery rhymes and supplied me with a lifetime's supply of story books. Though sometimes I cannot deny that her tongue is sharp and ready to lash out with her criticism, I realise that it is for our own good for she wants us to learn how to do things the right way, especially when it comes to household chores.

My grandfather, even though he is a quiet and pleasant old man, certainly is not lacking behind that feisty grandmother of mine. Once a brave soldier, now a loving grandfather, he used to serve in the army where he faced all kinds of hardships. And yet, a man who is so tough and fierce as he, can be loving and kind to the rest of his family. I suppose he must have mellowed over the years. I still remember those happy times I shared with my grandfather. He would always buy my siblings and me toys, he would settle our arguments and he never failed to share his chocolate with us whenever he bought some to satisfy that sweet tooth of his. It fills me with happiness and joy to recall those sweet, sweet moments. Even as he gets older, he is still strong and remembers to spend time with us. My sister, my youngest sibling, is easily the most attached person to him. I can still recall, the moments my sister would cry for our grandfather instead of our mother!

Grandparents make a family whole. That special bond that they share with their grandchildren is very precious. They are the ones who assist parents in their time of need. They provide us with love and affection during the times our parents cannot do so. Some day, our parents will become grandparents and we most probably will too. Just remember all the good times we had with our grandparents and relive them with our grandchildren in the future. I think I can safely say that they, our grandchildren, would certainly want a happy childhood too. Cherish your grandparents. Even if they sometimes make mistakes, remember all that they have done for us. The road to old age is not eaxctly a bed of roses either. It is up to us, the younger generation, to love, care and be understanding towards them., our grandparents After all, they were the ones who showered us with love and attention and made our childhood memories so much brighter and memorable.

Michelle Soon (4K5 2011, MGSS Melaka)

No comments:

Post a Comment